Sunday, April 22, 2012

Distinguished Young Women (AKA Jr. Miss)

This was the second year I got to be on the DYW committee. I love helping out with this program! You get to work hard for 4 months and see how each young woman grew throughout the experience that will change her life forever! This program is so dear to my heart. I saw what it did for my sister, Devonee. She won the talent award and was chosen to represent our community at the state program. I saw her grow into a confident woman and realize the talents that she had and realize the potential that she had as a young woman. I saw that and I was only nine. When I was still in Iowa I decided to return to Aberdeen at the end of my junior year so I could get involved with cheerleading and student council for my senior year. It just so happened that I would be moving back to Aberdeen a month before the program. I called Chana Duffin (who is still the chairman) and she was so supportive and let me join the group of girls. I didn't receive an award but I think that I gained the greater experience because of it. I still to this day cannot listen to my violin solo (I was so nervous and way off tune) but I am still proud of myself for getting up in front of the whole town and performing that piece. I had a fear of memorizing since a recital when I was younger and I overcame it and I performed to the best of my ability. I came in half way through the practices and learned all of the routines and I got to become closer with so many of the girls in my grade (There were 17 of us!). I learned so much about myself and truly learned to Be My Best Self! It makes me so sad when I hear people saying that they would rather pay their daughter not to do it. Sometimes people take it too far and that is where the program loses its credibility. But I know what I got out of it and every year and I pray each girl will have the experience that I did.

I love helping with the program to this day. There were only 7 girls this year but they were such a sweet group and full of amazing talents! The theme was Journey to Fearless in honor of Taylor Swift and it was so cute. The girls loved it and every song was perfect! These girls were incredible! It takes a lot of courage to get up on that stage. I am so grateful that I get to witness these beautiful girls come into their own each year
I love all seven of those girls but I have to tell you that this sweet girl, Whitney, is like the little sister I never had. She is AMAZING! I have known her since she was born and would play with her when our mom's would visit and secretly pretend she was my sister :) Our moms were best friends and both battled breast cancer. Connie lost her battle a year and a half ago and it still breaks my heart every time I think about it. This girl is a FIGHTER! Can you imagine going through something like at 16? I cannot even imagine. But if you didn't know her you would never know. She goes through life with a smile on her face and she can always make me laugh. I was her cheer coach this year and I called her What-if-Whit. She can come up with more scenarios than you can imagine. I love this girl and she did incredible last night. She won awards in fitness, self-expression, interview and first runner-up. I am so proud of her and I love her to death!

No comments:

Post a Comment